Tofu Noodle Stir-fry
The sauce for this delicious stir-fry is easy to put together with ingredients you've probably got in the cupboard. Feel free to swap the vegetables for other favourites or whatever you have on hand.
- 1/2 454 g pkg vermicelli rice noodles , about 1/2 in (1 cm) width
- 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 450 g pkg extra-firm tofu , cut into cubes
- 1 sweet pepper , cut into bit-sized strips
- 1 225 g pkg sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 lb snow peas , or snap peas, trimmed
- Fill a kettle with water and bring to a boil. Pour into a large bowl. Add noodles, separating as you add them. Soak, stirring and separating from time to time until tender, 15-20 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, squeeze ¼ cup (50 mL) juice from the lemon into a small bowl. Add 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) cold water and soy sauce. Whisk in cornstarch. Stir in ginger, honey and garlic.
- Set a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add vegetable oil. When hot, add the tofu. Cook until lightly golden, turning once, about 4-6 minutes.
- Add pepper and mushrooms. Stir-fry until they begin to soften slightly, 3-4 minutes. Reduce heat if stir-fry starts to stick. Add snow peas. Stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Stir in lemon mixture. Cook until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Stir in noodles and serve immediately. Leftovers will keep well, covered and refrigerated, for up to 2 days.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 15 g,
- 13 g,
- 2 mg.