Sweet-and-Sour Beef and Veggies
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 4 servings
How can you beat a main dish that not only contains pineapple but also takes less than 15 minutes to cook? Serve over noodles and it’s faster than takeout.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 500 g lean ground beef , or turkey
- 2 medium carrots , sliced 1/4 in. thick
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger , (or 1/2 tsp ground ginger)
- 2 garlic cloves , squished
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 398-mL can pineapple tidbits , drained, but juice reserved
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- In a large, deep skillet, cook the ground beef or turkey in the oil over medium-high heat, stirring to break up the clumps for 5 or 6 minutes, or until no longer pink. Drain off any fat that accumulates.
- Add the carrots and broccoli to the skillet, stir, then add the soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, pepper, and the juice from the can of pineapple. Stir to mix, then cover and cook over medium low heat for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender but still crisp. Stir in the pineapple chunks.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water. Add to skillet, and cook, stirring until the sauce thickens and bubbles. Serve over rice or noodles.