This article has not been rated yet.
OK, so you want steak. But - let’s be honest here - your kids probably don’t. So compromise. Make fajitas.
- 8 small flour tortillas
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 500 g beef sirloin steak , or flank steak (or skinless, boneless chicken breasts), cut into thin strips
- 1 medium green or red sweet pepper , thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion , thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup salsa , (mild, medium or hot)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin , if you can find it (hint: it's behind the paprika)
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- Before you start cooking, wrap the tortillas tightly in foil and place them in a 250 F (120 C) oven to warm while you prepare the filling.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meat and cook, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes – until it is no longer pink. Remove from the pan and set aside. Now add the sliced peppers and onion to the pan (adding a bit more oil if necessary) and cook, stirring, for 3 or 4 minutes, until softened. Stir in salsa, lime juice and cumin, bring to a simmer, then return the beef or chicken to the pan and cook just long enough to heat mixture through and allow the flavours to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve the fajita mixture straight from the pan (really), and let everyone fill their own tortillas, adding whatever toppings they like. Roll up and eat.