Rainbow Stir-fried Brown Rice
This article has not been rated yet.
Here’s a one-pot dinner made from leftovers that spells comfort food in my home. Stir-fried rice works best when you use leftover, refrigerated rice. (Just-cooked, hot brown rice will clump up.) Never know what to do with broccoli stalks? Here’s the recipe!
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast , (250 g), thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated broccoli stalks
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 egg , beaten
- 3 1/2 cups chilled, cooked brown rice
- In a small bowl, whisk together oyster sauce, one tbsp/15 mL water, soy sauce and sesame oil to make sauce.
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick frying pan at medium. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink — about 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In same pan at medium heat, stir-fry broccoli, carrots and green onions for 1 minute, make a well and add egg, covering as much of the pan as possible. Before egg sets add rice and sauce and stir-fry for 3 minutes, add chicken and cook another 1 minute or until heated through.
- *1 cup (250 mL) brown rice yields 3 1/2 cups (875 mL) cooked.
- Note: Swap in shrimp for the chicken if you’d like!