Fried Rice With Vegetables and Seitan or Tempeh
This article has not been rated yet.
2 to 2 servings
Seitan and tempeh are two of the most meat-like non-meats there are. This is a good recipe to experiment with these two foods.
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg , slightly beaten
- 4 whole green onions , sliced
- 1 garlic clove , squished
- 1 small carrot , diced
- 1 cup green peas , (thawed frozen or cooked fresh)
- 226 g seitan , cut into 1-in. strip (or tempeh, cut into 1/2-in cubes) and steamed for 20 minutes
- 4 cups cooked rice , (cold leftover rice is perfect)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil in a large skillet or wok, then pour in the egg and cook until scrambled. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) of oil to the pan over high heat. Add the green onions and garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the carrot and peas and continue to stir-fry for 2 more minutes – until the carrot is just beginning to soften. Add the seitan or tempeh and heat through, stirring constantly.
- Now dump in the rice, soy sauce and the scrambled egg. Stir-fry until the rice is heated through and the soy sauce is evenly mixed. Serve immediately.