Braised Onions and Sausages
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 6 servings
- 4 to 6 large sausages , preferably Italian or debreziner
- 3 large onions
- 1 red sweet pepper
- 1 green sweet pepper
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3/4 cup apple juice , or apple cider
- 1 tsp to 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Lightly coat a large wide saucepan with oil and set over medium heat. Prick sausages with a fork, then place in pan. Turn often until browned, 6-7 minutes. Meanwhile, slice onions in half. Place, cut side down, on a cutting board. Thinly slice into strips. Core and seed peppers, then slice into thick strips. When sausages are browned, add onions and peppers to pan. Sprinkle with sugar. Stir frequently until onions start to soften, 4-5 minutes.
- Add juice (or cider), Dijon and salt. Stir until mustard is blended in. Boil gently, uncovered, and stirring often, until liquid is reduced by half and sausages are cooked through, 5-6 minutes. Great with hunks of pumpernickel and sliced dill pickles.
- Makes 4-6 servings.
- In a serving: 355 calories, 15.7 g protein, 24.3 g fat, 19.0 g carbohydrates, 1.7 mg iron, 2.0 mg zinc