Originally published in our November 2013 issue. Photo by Maya Visnyei.
Homemade KetchupBy Eshun Mott
Forget store-bought, welcome this easy homemade ketchup recipe into your life. Get your little one to tighten his apron strings, this is a fun one.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ⅓ cup brown sugar , packed
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- 796-mL can crushed tomatoes
- Measure olive oil, chopped onions, tomato paste, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar and salt.
- Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat, and sauté onions for 4 min or until softened. Add tomato paste and sauté 1 min longer.
- Add canned tomatoes, brown sugar, cider vinegar and salt. Bring to a boil, turn heat to med-low and simmer 25 to 30 min or until liquid has almost completely evaporated. Transfer tomato mixture to a food processor or blender and whirl until completely smooth.