Originally published in the Today’s Parent June 2016 issue. Photo by Roberto Caruso.
Easy Strawberry Freezer JamBy Chatelaine
It’s a pretty safe bet your kids will be keen to help with this recipe if you let them smash the berries.
- 2 pints strawberries , (about 5 cups), hulled and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 45-g packet freezer-jam pectin , such as Bernardin
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- Crush strawberries with a potato masher in a large bowl to make about 4 1/2 cups.
- Combine sugar with pectin and zest in another large bowl. Stir strawberries into sugar mixture until combined. Let stand for 3 min, then stir well. Ladle into 5 clean 1-cup canning jars, leaving ½-in. headspace from rims. Wipe rims clean, then apply lids tightly. Let stand for 30 min. Jam will be very softly set. Store in fridge for up to 1 week, or freeze for up to 1 year.
Nutrition (per 1 tbsp serving)
- 1 g,
- 5 g,
- 1 g,
- 6 mg.