Beautiful Apple Butter
This article has not been rated yet.
The spices in this recipe are at a minimum. But if you prefer a bolder flavour, you can add a bit of ground cinnamon, ginger or cloves to the sauce before baking. Be careful, though. The flavour becomes stronger as it cooks.
- 2 recipes Triple-Purpose Microwave Applesauce , blended until smooth
- 1/2 to 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 piece cinnamon stick , (broken in half)
- In a bowl, stir together the applesauce and the sugar. Using 1 cup (250 mL) of sugar will result in quite a sweet apple butter, so you might prefer to reduce the amount according to what your family likes. Add the cinnamon stick and transfer the mixture to a 9 x 13 in. (23 x 33 cm) baking dish. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 2½ to 3 hours, stirring 45 minutes or so, or until dark and thick.
- Remove from the oven and spoon immediately into hot, sterilized canning jars. Screw on the lids and process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes. Let cool, then store at room temperature. Refrigerate any jars that don’t seal properly (or after the apple butter has been opened).