Originally published in our September + November 2017 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Apple-Cinnamon ButterBy Chatelaine
Homemade apple sauce is pretty great, but creamy apple butter is even better. Pay attention toast, pancakes and waffles, this is your new jam.
- 6 Gala apples , peeled, cored and chopped
- 4 Granny Smith apples , peeled, cored and chopped
- 4 cups apple cider
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- Combine apples with cider and cinnamon sticks in a large pot over high. Boil, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, 35 to 40 min.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Discard cinnamon sticks. Using immersion blender, purée apples until smooth. Stir in brown sugar.
- Simmer, partially covered, stirring often (careful, it may splatter), until mixture is very thick, about 1½ hours. Store apple butter in clean, airtight glass jars and refrigerate. It keeps for 2 weeks (but chances are it’ll be long gone before then, it’s that good).