Tiny Meatball Soup
This article has not been rated yet.
8 to 8 servings
Recipe by Bonny Reichert
- 500 g lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp fresh bread crumbs
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan
- 2 900-mL pkgs low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 796-mL can plum tomatoes
- 2 carrots , diced
- 2 stalks celery , diced
- 1 175-g boneless, skinless chicken breast , cut into large dice
- 1 cup small dried pasta , such as stars or alphabets
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, egg, salt, bread crumbs, garlic, oregano and Parmesan. Mix well. Form into small meatballs, 1⁄2-3⁄4 in (1-2 cm) diameter, and place on a parchment- or waxed-paper-lined tray. Pop into refrigerator while you prepare the soup base.
- Pour chicken broth into a large saucepan. Holding a fine mesh strainer over the pot, pour in a can of tomatoes, allowing juice to flow into the stock, but holding back the solids (freeze or refrigerate the tomatoes for another time). Bring to a boil. Add meatballs and diced chicken, and cook over medium heat for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add veggies and pasta. Increase heat to maintain a simmer. Cook for about 12 minutes more, ensuring meatballs and chicken are cooked through.
- Skim foam from the surface. Ladle into bowls, ensuring everyone gets several meatballs, a few pieces of chicken and plenty of pasta and vegetables. Serve with a loaf of crusty bread.
- Makes 8 servings.
- In a serving: 260 calories, 22.5 g protein, 9.6 g fat, 20.2 g carbohydrates