Thai Coconut Chicken Noodle SoupBy Eshun Mott
Take chicken noodle soup in a new and addictive direction with creamy coconut milk and crunchy vegetables.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 L sodium-free or homemade chicken stock
- 1 (400 mL) can coconut milk
- 3 quarter-size slices ginger
- 1 stalk lemongrass , root end bruised, cut into 3 pieces
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp brown sugar
- 100 g thin rice noodles
- 1 large carrot , julienned or shredded
- 1 cup sliced snow pea pods , (stem, ends and strings removed)
- 2 cups shredded roast or rotisserie chicken
- 2 green onions , thinly sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- Thai chili peppers , thinly sliced (optional)
- Heat oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger; sauté for 1 min or until fragrant. Add chicken stock, coconut milk, ginger and lemongrass; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 min or until broth is flavourful. Discard lemongrass and ginger slices.
- Add fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar and rice noodles; simmer for 2 min or until noodles begin to soften. Add carrot, snow peas and chicken; simmer for 2 min longer or until vegetables are tender crisp.
- Serve soup topped with green onions, cilantro leaves and chili peppers, if desired.