This article has not been rated yet.
6 to 6 servings
Black beans and corn give this version of gazpacho a southwestern twist. Serve with a platter of tortilla roll-ups or sandwich wraps to make it a more substantial meal.
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes , diced
- 1 medium red sweet pepper , diced
- 4 green onions , chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion , (or less, to taste)
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves , finely minced
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup chicken broth , or vegetable broth
- 1 cup corn kernels , (frozen or cut from a cooked cob)
- 1 cup canned black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro , (optional)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- sour cream , for garnish
- crumbled tortilla chips , for garnish
- In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, red pepper, green onions, red onion and garlic. Toss until very well mixed.
- Remove 1 cup (250 mL) of the mixture and set it aside. Transfer the rest to a blender or food processor and blend until it is fairly smooth. Return the blended mixture to the bowl.
- Stir the chunky mixture (the stuff you set aside) back into the pureed mixture. Add the tomato juice, broth, corn, black beans, cilantro, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir until well mixed. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
- Serve each bowl of soup with a dollop of sour cream, if desired, and topped with crumbled tortilla chips.