Sweet Potato Soup with Ginger and Cinnamon
Garnish with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt, serve with whole-grain bread and a salad, and this soup makes supper simple.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1.5 kg sweet potatoes , (about 5 medium), peeled and cut into 1-in. chunks
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1 cup 2% milk , (plus extra for thinning)
- In a large pot, heat the oil and cook the chopped onion at medium low for 5 minutes or until soft and fragrant. Add the ginger and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the stock, sweet potatoes, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove soup from heat and allow to cook. Puree with a hand-held immersion blender or in a blender or food processor in batches.
- Gently reheat and whisk in the milk. (Add extra milk if you find the soup too thick.)