Originally published in the March + April 2018 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Slow Cooker Split Pea and Ham SoupBy Chatelaine
8 hrs 15 min
Slow and steady wins the race with this hearty soup. 15 minutes of prep is all that's required of you. The reward is a bounty of freezer meals your future self will thank you for.
- 1 kg smoked ham hock , skin and fat removed
- 2 cups dried yellow split peas , rinsed
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 celery stalks , chopped
- 2 carrots , peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 900-mL cartons reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- chopped parsley , optional
- In a 6-qt slow cooker, stir together ham hock, split peas, onion, celery, carrots, garlic, salt, pepper, bay leaves, broth and water. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove ham hock from the slow cooker and shred meat using 2 forks. Discard the bone and any fat. Return 2 cups of shredded ham to your soup. Reserve remaining ham for another use.
- Stir in fresh parsley, if desired. Serve with crusty baguette and green salad.
Makeover your leftovers
Ham and Cheese Frittata: Whisk 8 eggs in a large bowl. Stir in ½ cup shredded cheddar or Swiss cheese, ¼ cup milk, ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a 10-in. cast-iron or oven-safe frying pan over medium heat. Add 1 sliced onion and cook until softened, 5 min, then stir in leftover shredded ham. Pour in egg mixture, then sprinkle with another ½ cup shredded cheese. Bake at 375F until centre is just set, about 15 min.
Stir-fried Rice: In a large frying pan, stir-fry ¼ cup each of chopped carrot and celery in 1 tbsp oil over medium heat. Stir in remaining shredded ham. Add 2 beaten eggs, stirring constantly until cooked. Stir in 3 tbsp lime juice, 2 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tsp chili-garlic sauce and 1 tsp sesame oil. Add 1 cup cooked rice and a handful thawed frozen peas. Stir-fry until everything is heated through.
Nutrition (per cup)
- 12 g,
- 18 g,
- 2 g,
- 3 g,
- 519 mg.