Silken Carrot Soup
This article has not been rated yet.
Almost unbelievably simple, this smooth and delicious carrot soup is just perfect for all the little bunnies in your life.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 cups scrubbed and sliced carrots , (about 6 medium)
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup uncooked white rice
- black pepper
- plain yogurt , sour cream or chopped parsley (for garnish)
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the carrots and onion, and cook, stirring, until the onions begin to soften – about 5 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Throw in (hey, gently – no splashing) the rice, then adjust the heat to low and let simmer until both the carrots and rice are soft – about 20 minutes. Stir once or twice so nothing sticks to the bottom, but otherwise you can ignore it.
- When everything is nice and soft, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary, then blend in a blender or food processor, in 2 or 3 batches, until perfectly smooth. A When everything is nice and soft, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary, then blend in a blender or food processor, in 2 or 3 batches, until perfectly smooth. A regular blender will probably give you the creamiest result, but you can do this even with one of those groovy hand blender thingies. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot, garnished with a swirl of plain yogurt or sprinkle of chopped fresh parsley.