Originally published in the March 2011 issue. Photo by Edward Pond.
Sausage Corn Chowder
This soup is quick enough to throw together on a weeknight or keeps well enough to qualify as a go-to make-ahead meal.
- vegetable oil
- 250 g mild or spicy Italian sausages , chopped or removed from casings and crumbled
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 potato , preferably Yukon Gold, chopped
- 1 red sweet pepper , chopped
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- In a large pot, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium high. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to brown, 5-7 minutes.
- Add onion and continue cooking, stirring often, until onion softens, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour overtop and stir to mix evenly. If very dry, stir in 2 tsp vegetable oil. Cook flour, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Slowly stir in broth, scraping brown bits from pan bottom. Bring broth to a boil. Add potato, red pepper and parsley. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are almost fork-tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add corn. Slowly stir in milk. Bring to a gentle boil, add pepper and serve hot.
- If making ahead, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 1 month.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 21 g,
- 28 g,
- 21 g,