Sausage and Potato Stew
It's a dark and stormy night, and this sausage potato stew is the perfect dinner for it.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 carrots , cut into chunks
- 2 stalks celery , sliced
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 375 g Polish or other smoked sausage , cut into 1/2-in. chunks
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 6 medium potatoes , peeled and cubed
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth , (made from bouillon cubes)
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the carrot, celery, onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until the onion is beginning to soften. Add the sausage chunks, paprika, salt and pepper and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Now dump in the potatoes and broth and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover the pan, lower the heat to medium low and let simmer for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- SPLURGE! Double the sausage if you’re feeling flush. But everything else is perfect just the way it is.
- SPLURGE! Oh go ahead and use chicken breasts, if you must. And while you’re at it, double the amount of chicken. It will cost you at least an extra 75 cents a serving.