Originally published in the Today’s Parent September/October 2018 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Rustic Tortilla Soup with PorkBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
Leftover pork roast is transformed into a super easy and impressive soup. Top with crispy tortilla chips, queso fresco and avocado for A+ results.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion , chopped
- 2 tsp garlic , chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 398-mL can diced tomatoes
- 1 L low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chilies in adobo sauce , finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups pork roast , shredded
- 2 cups tortilla chips , crumbled
- 1/4 cup queso fresco , crumbled
- 1 small avocado , diced
- Heat vegetable oil in a pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 min or until lightly golden. Add garlic, chili powder and cumin, and sauté for 1 min. Add tomatoes, broth and chipotle chili, and bring to a boil. Cover pot and simmer for 10 min or until vegetables are soft and broth is flavourful.
- Add pork and simmer gently for 2 min or until flavours have come together. Divide half of tortilla chips between bowls and pour soup over top. Serve sprinkled with remaining chips, queso fresco, avocado, cilantro and lime wedges.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 28 g,
- 29 g,
- 27 g,
- 5 g,
- 1 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin b12