Roasted Squash and Coconut Soup
By Eshun Mott
* PLUS Cook time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
This oh-so-creamy soup is sure to become a family favourite. It's perfect for entertaining guests or as an easy go-to meal.
1 1/2 kg
, halved lengthwise, seeded
1 1/2 cups
, mixed with 1/4 tsp chili oil
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place squash on baking sheet cut-side down and roast for 50 min, or until cut side is browned and squash is tender when pierced with a fork.
- Let cool slightly, then use a spoon to scoop out all the flesh. Set aside.
- Heat butter in a large pot on medium-high. Add onion and sauté, stirring for 5 min, or until onion is lightly browned. Add garlic and ginger and sauté 1 min longer.
- Add squash and stir to combine. Add chicken stock and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Turn heat to medium-low and simmer gently for 10 min.
- Purée soup with an immersion blender until completely smooth. Season with salt. Drizzle servings with about 1⁄4 tsp maple chili oil.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 3 g,
- 20 g,
- 12 g,
- 3 g,
- 164 mg.
Originally published in the Today’s Parent October 2014 issue.