Renovated Won Ton Soup
This article has not been rated yet.
6 to 6 250 mL
This quick and healthy dinner is one part chicken noodle soup, one part Chinese takeout
- 2 900-mL pkg chicken broth , (or 7 cups homemade stock)
- 1 tbsp white wine , or sherry (optional)
- 2 green onions
- 2 sprigs cilantro
- 1 1/2-in. piece fresh ginger
- 250 g ground chicken
- 1 tsp tamari
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 cups medium-width egg noodles
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- In a large covered pot, combine stock and wine, and bring to a boil. Chop green onions (white and green parts) and cilantro (leaves and stems); mix together and keep about half off to the side for later. Peel, then finely chop or grate ginger, using a microplane or the finest holes on a grater.
- Combine ground chicken, half of the green onion-cilantro mixture, ginger, tamari, sesame oil and sugar. With 2 teaspoons, make free-form meatballs: Scoop a bit of the ground chicken mixture with one, then push it onto a waxed-paper-lined tray with the other. (It’s OK if they aren’t round.)
- Place noodles in boiling stock and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add meatballs carefully, using tongs, then broccoli florets. Stirring gently so as not to break the meatballs, cook for 3 to 4 minutes longer, then test a meatball. If it’s still pink inside, continue cooking for another minute or so.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 12.4 g,
- 3.2 g,