Originally published in the Today’s Parent January/February 2019 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Pasta e fagioliBy Chatelaine
4 to 6 servings
Baby napping? Before you crash on the couch, whip up this easy Italian classic and pop it in the freezer so you're prepared for that next sleep regression.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 celery stalk , Chopped
- 2 carrots , Peeled and diced
- 1 small red onion , Finely chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups diced ham steak
- 900 ml carton chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 540 ml can no-salt-added red kidney beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 cup star or Ditali pasta
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium. Add celery, carrots and onion. Cook until onion is soft, about 3 min. Stir in tomato paste and cook, 2 min. Add water, broth, ham, salt and rosemary. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, 5 min.
- Remove from heat. Uncover and let cool. Stir in beans and uncooked pasta.
- To freeze: Ladle soup into freezer bags. Let out all the air. Label and date, then lay bags flat to freeze for up to 3 months.
- To reheat: Defrost frozen soup in a sink of warm water. Reheat over medium-high, stirring often, until it boils for at least 2 min. Ladle into bowls and top with Parmesan and parsley.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 23 g,
- 43 g,
- 6 g,
- 10 g,
- 1663 mg.