Pasta e fagioli
* PLUS 20 min to reheat from frozen
Photo: Erik Putz
Baby napping? Before you crash on the couch, whip up this easy Italian classic and pop it in the freezer so you're prepared for that next sleep regression.
, Peeled and diced
, Finely chopped
900 ml carton
540 ml can
red kidney beans
, drained and rinsed
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium. Add celery, carrots and onion. Cook until onion is soft, about 3 min. Stir in tomato paste and cook, 2 min. Add water, broth, ham, salt and rosemary. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, 5 min.
- Remove from heat. Uncover and let cool. Stir in beans and uncooked pasta.
- To freeze: Ladle soup into freezer bags. Let out all the air. Label and date, then lay bags flat to freeze for up to 3 months.
- To reheat: Defrost frozen soup in a sink of warm water. Reheat over medium-high, stirring often, until it boils for at least 2 min. Ladle into bowls and top with Parmesan and parsley.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 23 g,
- 43 g,
- 6 g,
- 10 g,
- 1663 mg.
Originally published in the Today’s Parent January/February 2019 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.