Old-Fashioned Split Pea Soup
Let this delicious split pea soup cook all day and it will be waiting for you when you walk in the door, tired and cranky.
- 500 g green or yellow split peas
- 7 cups water
- 3 medium carrots , chopped
- 2 stalks celery , chopped
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crumbled dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Place all the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low setting for 10 to 12 hours, or on high setting for about 6 hours. The peas should disintegrate completely and the meat should be falling apart.
- Let cool slightly, then remove ham or turkey from the soup and cut the meat up into small pieces (discard all the weird bits – you know what I’m talking about). Return the meat to the soup. Serve with a few croutons sprinkled on top. The soup will practically solidify when it cools, so you may want to add a bit more water when reheating.
- Vegetarians can have some too: Just leave out the smoked ham hocks or turkey leg. The soup will still be good and hearty.