Mexican Chili-Spiced Soup
This article has not been rated yet.
This hearty soup is perfect for chilly autumn or winter evenings. Top with tortilla chips and a scoop of shredded cheese and you're guaranteed happy kiddos.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 1 garlic clove , smashed
- 1 tbsp Mexican chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin , (optional)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 796-mL can tomatoes , (with liquid)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 540-mL can kidney beans , drained, but liquid reserved
- 1 341-mL can corn niblets , drained, but liquid reserved
- In a large saucepan, add vegetable oil and cook the onion and garlic over medium, about 3 min. Add chili powder, cumin and oregano and cook, stirring, another 3 min.
- Pour in tomatoes and using a potato masher, mash the tomatoes (they should be chunky but not pureed). Pour in the chicken broth and the reserved corn and bean liquids, and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 20 min.
- Add beans and corn and bring to a boil again. Reduce heat and let the soup simmer for 2-3 min. Serve with corn chips or cheese for topping.