Originally published in the October 2010 issue. Photo by John Cullen.
Lentil, Barley and Sweet Potato Soup
6 to 8 servings
Even avowed meat eaters will happily tuck into this vegetarian soup. It's thick and hearty with chunks of sweet potato, nubby barley and rich, tomato-y broth.
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 stalks celery , minced
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 sweet potato , peeled and diced, about 14 oz (425 g)
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 2 tsp dried basil leaves
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth , or chicken broth, divided
- 1 540 mL can lentils , drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium. Add celery, onion and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add sweet potato, barley, oregano and basil, and stir to coat well. Add tomato paste and vinegar, and stir to combine.
- Add 5 cups of the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 35 minutes, or until sweet potato and barley are tender.
- Stir in remaining broth, plus lentils and parsley; cook 5 minutes more, or until the soup is heated through.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 9 g,
- 32 g,
- 2 g,
- 5 g,