Originally published in the Today’s Parent August 2014 issue.
Fresh Corn SoupBy Eshun Mott
This article has not been rated yet.
4 adult servings
Sweet, fresh summer corn is tender even when it's raw, so it purées nicely for this soup.
- 6 cups fresh corn kernels , (from 6 to 7 large cobs), divided
- 2 cups sodium-free chicken broth
- 1 tbsp finely chopped shallot
- pinch salt
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red sweet pepper
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp thyme leaves
- corn chips , optional
- Working in batches, purée 5 cups corn kernels with chicken stock and shallot until very smooth. Pour soup through a strainer, pressing down on solids to extract any liquid (if you have a high-powered blender, you can skip this step). Season with salt.
- Combine remaining 1 cup corn with red pepper, olive oil and thyme to make topping. Spoon onto servings of soup, garnishing each bowl with a corn chip, if desired.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 8 g,
- 53 g,
- 6 g,
- 3 g,
- 70 mg.