Creamy Roasted Vegetable Soup
A satisfying supper, served with whole-grain bread and cheese. Leftovers freeze well.
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 pan Roasted Roots
- 6 cups chicken broth , or vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried thyme , crumbled
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup milk , or cream
- grated orange zest , of 1/2 an orange
- black pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot at medium low. Add onions and cook 5 minutes or until tender and fragrant.
- Add roasted vegetables, stock, bay leaf, thyme and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until vegetables are very soft.
- Remove bay leaf. Using an immersion blender, food processor or even a potato masher, purée soup. Stir in milk or cream and orange zest.
- Reheat at medium, turning the heat off once the soup is hot throughout but not boiling.