Chunky Chicken and Rice Soup
When the weather gets chilly, nothing quite warms you up like a hot bowl of homemade soup. Try this chunky variety today.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 3/4 cup uncooked, long-grain white rice , or brown rice
- 10 cups chicken broth , (homemade or reconstituted canned)
- thyme , to taste
- bay leaf , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- parsley , to taste
- 1 1/2 cups cubed raw skinless, boneless chicken breast , (about 3 individual breasts)
- In a large covered saucepan or Dutch oven, combine the onion, carrots, celery, rice and chicken broth. (You might want to cut up a few extra vegetables just in case your young assistant gets hungry while she’s watching the soup simmer.)
- Add the seasonings to taste, but don’t add any salt if you’re using canned broth, which tends to be quite salty. Let simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Add the chicken cubes to the soup, and continue cooking on medium-low heat for another 5 to 10 minutes, just until the chicken is cooked and the rice is tender, but not disintegrated.