Chilled Strawberry Soup
This article has not been rated yet.
6 to 6 servings
This sounds like something your kids made up, doesn't it? They almost could have.
- 3 cups strawberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1 strip lemon zest , (yellow part only)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1 cup sour cream , (regular or light)
- Wash and hull the strawberries and cut them in quarters. Helpful children can be a greater asset here. (A few bonus berries might be provided as added incentive.) Dump the strawberries into a medium saucepan and combine them with the sugar, water, strip of lemon peel and cinnamon stick, if you’re using it. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a little bowl, mix together the cornstarch with the 2 tbsp. (30 mL) cold water and gradually add to soup. Boil 5 minutes longer, until just very slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Chill for several hours. Just before serving, stir a few spoons of the soup into the sour cream to thin it, then add it to the soup, mixing until smooth.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, then have your helper float a small island of sour cream on each serving, topped by a single, perfect (or not perfect) stranded strawberry.