Chili Corn Soup
This article has not been rated yet.
5 to 5 servings
Pack a small container of shredded cheese to sprinkle into the soup at lunchtime.
- 1 tbsp olive oil , or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 tbsp Mexican chili powder
- 1 tsp crumbled dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken broth , or vegetable broth
- 1 796-mL can diced tomatoes
- 1 540-mL can kidney beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn niblets
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes or until just beginning to soften. Add the garlic, chili powder and oregano, and continue cooking, stirring often, for another 2 to 3 minutes or until the onion is tender. Add the broth, tomatoes (with all the juice from the can), beans and corn. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring once in a while, for 10 to 15 minutes or until the flavours are blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To ensure the soup stays warm, use a good quality stainless steel or glass-lined Thermos, and rinse it well with hot water before filling.
- Leftovers can be refrigerated or frozen to use another time. For convenience, freeze single-serving portions you can defrost and serve whenever you like.