Chili con Carne Soup
This chili con carne soup is sure to become a weeknight favourite - especially served with cornbread. Want more spice? Add 1/2 tsp (2 mL) hot pepper flakes, or 1 seeded, minced jalapeno pepper along with the onions and garlic.
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 onions , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 12 oz extra-lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- pinch salt
- 2 sweet peppers , chopped
- 1 540 mL can red kidney beans , Romano beans, chickpeas or mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 540 mL can stewed tomatoes
- 5 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add ground beef, chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt; cook, stirring, for about 8 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Stir in peppers, beans, tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil and reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes for the flavours to develop.
- Serve sprinkled with a little shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream for the full chili experience.
- Makes 8 servings.
- In a serving: 186 calories, 15 g protein, 6 g fat, 20 g carbs, 6 g dietary fibre, 71 mg calcium, 3 mg iron, 40 mcg folate