This article has not been rated yet.
- 1 chicken carcass
- 1 900 mL carton sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp whole peppercorns
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 large carrot , cut into chunks
- 1 celery stalk , cut into chunks
- 1 onon , halved but unpeeled
- 2 whole, unpeeled garlic cloves
- Place chicken carcass in a large saucepan. Cover with water. Add chicken broth (this adds flavour and cuts back on cooking time), bay leaf, peppercorns, dried thyme leaves, carrot, celery, halved unpeeled onion and whole, unpeeled garlic cloves. Gently simmer, uncovered, for about 45 minutes. Taste; if it’s delicious, it’s ready. If not, simmer, uncovered, a bit longer, and taste again.
- Strain into a bowl, pressing solids with the back of a spoon to extract all the juices. The amount of stock made will depend on a number of factors, including the size of the chicken carcass and the amount of liquid that evaporates.