Chicken Enchilada Soup
This article has not been rated yet.
6 to 6 servings
We're having tortilla chips for supper? Jared asks, unable to conceal his shock (and delight). It's a little naughty, a little spicy and very good.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 250 g skinless, boneless chicken breasts , (about 2), cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 1 garlic clove , squished
- 1 tsp Mexican chili powder
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups tomato juice , or multi- vegetable juice
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup salsa , (mild, medium or hot)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup canned black beans , drained and rinsed
- black pepper
- tortilla chips
- shredded cheddar , or Monterey jack
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Throw in the cubed chicken breasts, garlic and chili powder and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and starting to brown. Add the chicken broth, then whisk the flour into the tomato juice until dissolved, and add to the pot. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes, until the broth thickens slightly and is smooth.
- Now add the salsa, corn kernels and black beans. Continue cooking over medium heat for about 10 minutes. And you’re basically done.
- To serve, crumble a handful of tortilla chips into each bowl. Ladle the soup over the chips and top with some shredded cheese.