Originally published in the October 2010 issue. Photo by John Cullen.
Chicken and Baby Corn Curry Soup
This soup's soft curry flavour is a perfect introduction to the fragrant spice. With chunks of chicken, potato and baby corn, it's a meal in a bowl.
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts , chopped, about 12 oz (375 g)
- 2 tsp mild curry powder , or paste
- 2 tbsp mango chutney
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes , peeled and diced, about 8 oz (250 g)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 398 mL can baby corn , drained, or 1 1/2 cups frozen baby corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium. Add onion and garlic, and cook for 3 minutes or until softened. Add chicken and curry powder, and cook, stirring, for about 7 minutes or until it starts to brown. Stir in mango chutney to coat chicken evenly. Add potatoes and broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add corn and peas, and simmer 5 minutes more or until corn is heated through and potatoes are very tender.
Use 2 1/2 cups diced, frozen mixed vegetables in place of the corn and peas.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 18 g,
- 13 g,
- 4 g,
- 3 g,