Makes: About 6 cups
Caldo VerdeBy Trish Magwood
This article has not been rated yet.
Next time you're looking for an easy, healthy and delicious soup, try this caldo verde recipe with kale and chorizo.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions , chopped
- 3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes , peeled and diced
- 6 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb kale , coarsely chopped
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- 1 can (14 oz./398 mL) navy beans
- 1 can (14 oz./398 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 lb. dry chorizo , sliced crosswise into 1/4-in. pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Heat oil in deep pot over medium. Add onions and cook for 5 min until caramelized. Add potatoes and garlic,
cover and cook 5 min, stirring occasionally.
- Add bay leaves and kale to the pot and cover for 2 min to wilt greens. Add salt and pepper and stir in beans, tomatoes, chorizo and broth. Bring soup to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in parsley and serve with warm crusty bread, such as a Portuguese corn bread or sourdough boule.