Black Bean Tomato Soup with Cheese Balls
Give a new twist to black bean tomato soup with delicious easy cheese balls.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup white onion , chopped
- 1 large carrot , peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , chopped
- 1-2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 540 mL cans black beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 398 mL can diced tomatoes
- 4 reduced-sodium chicken broth
FOR CHEESE BALLS:
- 113 g or 140 g pkg goat cheese , softened
- 1 tbsp cilantro , finely chopped
- 1/3 cup red sweet pepper , finely chopped
- 1/3 cup yellow sweet pepper , finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large, heavy pot over medium high. Add onion, carrot and garlic; cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 min.
- Stir in cumin; cook, stirring, for 1 min. Add beans, tomatoes with their juice and the stock; bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until the carrots are tender, 15 to 18 min. Cool slightly.
- In batches, transfer the soup to a blender and purée until smooth. (You can also purée right in the pot with an immersion blender, if you have one.)
- Return soup to the pot and warm through over medium, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, make the Cheese Balls: In a bowl, mix goat cheese with cilantro. Using a teaspoon, scoop and roll little cheese balls, and place on plastic wrap. On a plate, spread finely chopped peppers; pat dry with a paper towel. Gently roll cheese balls in the peppers to cover.
- Ladle soup into bowls, garnishing each with 2 or 3 Cheese Balls just before serving.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 11 g,
- 24 g,
- 7 g,
- 9 g,
- 515 mg.