Beef Barley Soup
This article has not been rated yet.
A wonderfully comforting soup for a chilly fall evening. Serve it with a salad and a loaf of bread and it's dinner.
- 4 cups beef broth , (homemade or reconstituted canned)
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups leftover roast beef , cut into 1/2- in. dice
- 1 796-mL can diced tomatoes
- 3 carrots , sliced
- 2 stalks celery , sliced
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 2/3 cup barley
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine the broth, water, beef, tomatoes, carrots, celery, onion, barley and parsley.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then lower the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper, if necessary.