Zebra-Striped Spice Thins
This article has not been rated yet.
5 to 5 servings
The perfect partner for a cup of tea, these spice thins are crisp and pretty. They can also be made without the stripes, but we think everything is better with chocolate.
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter , at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 4 28-g squares semi-sweet chocolate , (4 oz)
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour. Baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the egg, molasses and vanilla and beat until well combined. Add the flour mixture in two or three additions, beating after each addition just until mixed. The dough will be soft.
- Divide the dough into two portions and roll each portion into a 2-inch (5 cm) thick log. Wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm – at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line one or two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Working with one log at a time, slice dough into ¼-in. (.5 cm) thick slices and arrange on the prepared cookie sheets, leaving at least 1 in. (2 cm) between them. Place in the oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies have puffed and are beginning to brown on the bottom. Remove from the oven, let cool slightly then place cookies on a rack to cool completely.
- Now the stripes. Place the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl or measuring cup. Microwave on high power, 30 seconds at a time, stirring frequently until chocolate is smooth. Let cool slightly, then pour into a zipper-top plastic sandwich bag and zip the top closed. With scissors, snip off one of the corners (just a tiny hole, please) and drizzle chocolate in zebra stripes over the baked cookies. Let cool until chocolate is firm, then store cookies in a tightly covered container.