Originally published in the Today’s Parent August 2014 issue. Photo by Maya Visnyei.
Vietnamese Roast Chicken Veggie RollsBy Eshun Mott
Salad rolls are an easy dinner and a fun activity all in one. Teach the kids to roll their own! This recipe adds rotisserie chicken for a protein boost.
- 5 tbsp fresh lime juice , divided
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp lime zest
- 1/8 tsp Asian chili sauce
- 1 900-g rotisserie chicken , meat removed and shredded, skin and carcass discarded
- 100 g rice vermicelli noodles
- 1 large carrot
- 1/2 English cucumber , seeded
- 12 8.5-in.-round rice paper wrappers
- 3 green onions , cut into long strips
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro
- 1/2 cup packed mint
- 1/2 cup Thai basil leaves
- 12 Boston lettuce leaves
- Combine 3 tbsp lime juice with fish sauce, sugar, lime zest and chili sauce, stirring to dissolve sugar. Set aside. Toss chicken with remaining 2 tbsp lime juice.
- Place noodles in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand 4 min to soften, then rinse with cold water.
- Use a vegetable peeler to cut carrot and cucumber into long, thin ribbons.
- Fill a large bowl with hot tap water. One at a time, soak each rice paper wrapper for 8 sec or until beginning to soften (wrappers continue to soften as they sit). Transfer to a clean surface.
- Lay a few herb leaves and a few strips each of cucumber, carrot and green onion along the bottom third of each wrapper leaving a 1-in. (2.5-cm) border at each end. Top with a small bundle (about 1/4 cup) of noodles.
- Fold a lettuce leaf over noodles and top with about 1/3 cup shredded chicken. Fold outside edges in, over chicken. Then fold edge closest to you up over filling and roll, holding filling in place until fully enclosed. Repeat with all wrappers.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 4 hr.
Don’t soak the rice paper wrappers for too long or they become impossible to roll.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 37 g,
- 51 g,
- 8 g,
- 4 g,
- 917 mg.