Asian chili sauce
, meat removed and shredded, skin and carcass discarded
rice paper wrappers
, cut into long strips
Thai basil leaves
- Combine 3 tbsp lime juice with fish sauce, sugar, lime zest and chili sauce, stirring to dissolve sugar. Set aside. Toss chicken with remaining 2 tbsp lime juice.
- Place noodles in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand 4 min to soften, then rinse with cold water.
- Use a vegetable peeler to cut carrot and cucumber into long, thin ribbons.
- Fill a large bowl with hot tap water. One at a time, soak each rice paper wrapper for 8 sec or until beginning to soften (wrappers continue to soften as they sit). Transfer to a clean surface.
- Lay a few herb leaves and a few strips each of cucumber, carrot and green onion along the bottom third of each wrapper leaving a 1-in. (2.5-cm) border at each end. Top with a small bundle (about 1/4 cup) of noodles.
- Fold a lettuce leaf over noodles and top with about 1/3 cup shredded chicken. Fold outside edges in, over chicken. Then fold edge closest to you up over filling and roll, holding filling in place until fully enclosed. Repeat with all wrappers.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 4 hr.
Don’t soak the rice paper wrappers for too long or they become impossible to roll.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 37 g,
- 51 g,
- 8 g,
- 4 g,
- 917 mg.
Originally published in the Today’s Parent August 2014 issue. Photo by Maya Visnyei.