Turkish Turkey Kebabs
Get your kids to mix kebab ingredients and form the mixture into sausage shapes.
- 500 g ground turkey , (or chicken, beef or lamb)
- 2 green onions , minced
- 1 egg , beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp hot-pepper flakes , (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the broiler element of the oven and adjust the rack to the highest lever. Grease a baking sheet.
- In a bowl, combine ground emat, onions, egg, parsley, cumin, coriander, salt, nutmeg, and pepper flakes (if using). Mix well.
- Working with 1/4 cup (50mL) of meat mixture at a time, form it into 1/2-in (1cm) thick sausage shapes, 4 to 5 in. (10 to 12 cm) long. (Use wet hands because the mixture will be very soft.) Run a bamboo skewer through the sausage lengthwise and place it gently onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining meat mixture and skewers. Brush tops lightly with the olive oil.
- Place the kebabs under the broiler and broil until lightly browned on both sides and cooked through (about 4 minutes per side, turning once).
- Serve kebabs on a bed of rice with tzatziki (or other) sauce for dipping, or stuffed into a pita pocket with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and a drizzle of tzatziki.