Triple Grain Apple Muffins
This article has not been rated yet.
8 to 8 servings
These are hearty and nutritious, but not obnoxiously so.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/2 cup bran
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup grated apple
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, have your child stir together the flour, oats, bran, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder and cinnamon. Meanwhile, in another bowl, beat the egg with the milk and the vegetable oil. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until all the ingredients are evenly moistened (don’t overbeat – muffins hate that!). Mix in the grated apple, stirring just until combined.
- Spoon the batter into a well-greased or paper-lined muffin pan, filling the cups all the way to the top. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until the muffins are lightly browned and a toothpick poked into the middle of one comes out clean. Remove from pan and place on a rack to cool. Or just eat them right away.