Sweet and Salty Spiced Nuts
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 4 servings
Thoroughly addictive, very crunchy and totally nibbleworthy. Serve these with drinks before dinner or as a snack while playing Balderdash.
- 4 cups unsalted nuts , (any combination of walnuts, pecans, cashews, almonds, hazelnuts and peanuts)
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp coarse salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp crumbled dried oregano
- 1 tsp crumbled dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper , (or less, or more – to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper and grease the paper lightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg white and the water just until the mixture is frothy. Add the nuts and mix until everything is evenly coated.
- In another bowl stir together the sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, oregano, thyme and cayenne. Add to the nut mixture and toss around until very well combined – the spices should be evenly stuck to the nuts. Dump onto the prepared cookie sheet, spreading them out into an even layer. Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 to 15 minutes, or until the nuts are crisp and dry. (You’ll have to actually touch them – carefully – to see if they’re done.) Remove from oven and let cool before devouring.