This article has not been rated yet.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract , (optional)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter with sugar, occasionally scraping down side of bowl, until light and fluffy – 5 minutes. Beat in egg and yolk, then vanilla and almond extract (if using). Stir flour with baking powder and salt, then pour into butter mixture. Using a spoon, stir in flour mixture until just mixed. Don’t overwork, or cookies will be tough.
- Divide dough into 2 portions. Shape each into a ball, then flatten into a disc. Working with 1 disc at a time, place between 2 sheets of parchment or plastic wrap. Roll dough to 1⁄4 in (0.6 cm) thickness. Refrigerate both discs until firm, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Remove dough from fridge and discard paper. Cut out shapes and place on baking sheets lined with parchment. Save scraps and re-roll. Bake in centre of oven, 1 sheet at a time, until cookies are lightly golden around the edges, 8-10 minutes.
- Makes 45-50 cookies.
- In 1 cookie: 61 calories, 0.7 g protein, 3.0 g fat, 7.9 g carbohydrates, 0.2 g dietary fibre, 4 mg calcium, 0.3 mg iron