Stuffed Baguette Bites
This article has not been rated yet.
18 to 18 servings
Try these with the variations below or make up your own.
- 1 thin white or whole wheat baguette
- 1 pkg light cream cheese , softened
- 1 carrot , grated
- 1/2 cup diced red or yellow sweet pepper
- 1/2 cup diced English cucumber , or cooked peas
- 2 tbsp chopped dill pickles , or olives
- 1 small clove garlic , minced
- Cut baguette in half crosswise and then cut each half lengthwise to open. Pull out inside of bread, forming caverns with walls about 1⁄2 in (1 cm) thick inside. Cut off ends and set aside.
- Stir together cream cheese, veggies, pickles and garlic. Spread over both cut sides of the baguette, including inside caverns. Press halves together, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or up to 2 days. Slice into 1 in (2 cm) pieces to serve.
- Makes about 18 pieces.
- In 1 piece: 71 calories, 3 g protein, 3 g fat, 9 g carbs, 1 g dietary fibre, 28 mg calcium, 1 mg iron, 17 mcg folate
- Fruit and veggie variation: Omit pepper, cucumber, pickles and garlic. Stir in 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) chopped pitted Medjool dates, 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) diced apple and 1⁄2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon together with the cream cheese and carrot.
- PB & fruit variation: Stir together 1 cup (250 mL) smooth or crunchy peanut butter, 3⁄4 cup (175 mL) diced apple, 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) chopped banana, 1⁄3 cup (75 mL) bran buds or chopped nuts.