Simple Homemade Granola
9 to 10 cups
If family members have food allergies, or you want to make this homemade granola school-friendly, simply omit the nuts.
- 5 cups old-fashioned rolled oat
- 1 cup shredded cocounut
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped almonds , pecans, or walnuts (optional)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter , melted
- 2 cups dried fruit , such as cranberries, blueberries, raisins and chopped dried apricots
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). In a large bowl, toss together the oats, coconut, nuts (if using), cinnamon and salt. In a small bowl, stir together honey, maple syrup and melted butter. Pour over oat mixture and using a large wooden spoon stir until the mixture is evenly coated.
- Spread mixture onto a large 13 x 18 in (33 x 46) baking sheet. Bake, tossing occasionally with a spatula, until golden, about 35 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Break into small chunks and stir in dried fruit. Store in an airtight container.