Originally published in the August 2010 issue. Photo by Vincent Noguchi.
This article has not been rated yet.
Enlist the help of little hands for these sausage-filled roll-ups. They're a great appetizer for kids' parties, but will surely be gobbled at classy grown-up parties, too.
- 1 pkg store-bought pizza dough
- 1 pkg bulk sausage meat
- 1 small red sweet pepper , chopped
- 4 cups lightly packed baby spinach , chopped
- 1/2 cup mild or medium salsa , or pizza or pasta sauce
- 1/3 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- Take pizza dough out of the fridge to come to room temperature, about 30 minutes; it’s easier to roll out that way.
- In large non-stick skillet, cook sausage over medium high for 7 minutes or until browned. (You can substitute the same quantity of extra-lean ground beef or chicken for the sausage.) Drain any fat and return skillet with sausage to heat. Add spinach and pepper, and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Stir in salsa and remove from heat. Stir in bread crumbs and egg until well combined; let cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. On lightly floured surface, roll out pizza dough to 12 x 15 in rectangle. Cut in half lengthwise to form two 6 x 15 in rectangles. Spoon ½ the sausage mixture in a lengthwise mound down the centre of each rectangle. Take 1 rectangle, stretch over 1 of the long edges, then roll up to form a log; pinch firmly to close. Repeat with second rectangle. Place both logs, seam side down, on a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet. Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly before slicing.
If made ahead, wrap in foil to warm up on the grill before serving. Pack some extra salsa or tomato sauce for dipping, too.
Nutrition (per piece)
- 5 g,
- 14 g,
- 5 g,