Rice-Crust Pizza Squares
A great alternative pizza for kids who can't have wheat.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white rice , or brown rice
- 1 egg , beaten
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella , divided
- 1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
- diced pepperoni , veggies or other additional toppings
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Grease an 8 in. (20 cm) square baking dish. In a bowl, stir together the rice, egg and 1 cup (250 mL) of the cheese. Dump into the prepared baking dish and pat it down firmly into an even layer. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for just a minute or two.
- Spread the spaghetti sauce evenly over the rice crust. Resist the temptation to add more sauce – too much sauce will make the squares messy to eat. Sprinkle the top with the remaining – cup (125 mL) cheese and any additional toppings you want to use. Return the pan to the oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes – or until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the bottom is lightly browned. Let cool before cutting into squares and serving – either warm or at room temperature.