Plain and Simple Sugar Cookies
This article has not been rated yet.
3 to 3 servings
Cut out big circles of dough and decorate with sugar or sprinkles before baking. Or cut into fancy shapes (don't forget a hanging hole), decorate with icing and hang on your Christmas tree.
- 1 cup butter , softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk , (or 5% cream)
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla, and continue beating until creamy. Stir in the flour and baking powder alternately with the evaporated milk, to make a fairly stiff dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times by hand to make it smooth and workable. Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes before using.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Cut the dough into 4 pieces. Working with one piece of dough at a time, roll it out on a lightly floured surface to an even – in. (6 mm) thickness, dusting lightly with flour to keep it from sticking to the rolling pin. Cut out shapes and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet, at least 1 in. (2.5 cm) apart to allow for spreading. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, until the cookies are very slightly browned on the bottom, but still light on top.