Organic Rice Crisp Surprise Squares
This article has not been rated yet.
These sweet treats are nutrient-rich and minus the refined sugar in similar squares. If you have allergy concerns, omit one or two of the butters in the recipe - just add more of the butter you do use so that it totals 1⁄2 cup (125 mL). You can find the ingredents at most health-food stores.
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
- 1 to 2 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2 tbsp tahini , (sesame butter)
- 2 tbsp sunflower seed butter
- 1/2 140-g box organic brown rice crisps
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds , (ground, for younger children)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds , (ground, for younger children)
- Heat brown rice syrup, molasses, vanilla and butters in a saucepan over low to medium heat until the mixture is easy to stir. Remove from heat. Working quickly, add the dry ingredients and stir well to coat. Divide mixture into two 8 x 8 in (20 x 20 cm) pans and press flat with a wooden spoon or spatula. Let cool and cut into squares. Extras keep well in the freezer.
- In 1 square: 31 calories, 0.7 g protein, 1.5 g fat, 4.2 g carbohydrates, 0.2 g dietary fibre