Oat Bran and Carrot Cookie
Your kids will never know these are good for them. You’ll find oat bran in health food or bulk stores. When shopping for whole wheat flour, be sure to choose “all-purpose” or “soft” since regular whole wheat (usually labelled as just “whole wheat”) is better suited for breads than pastry baking.
- 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated margarine
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour , or soft whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup grated carrot
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°aC).
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, cream together margarine, brown sugar, egg and vanilla, beating until smooth and fluffy.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, oat bran, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add this to the margarine mixture, beating until everything is mixed well. Stir in grated carrots.
- Drop batter by the heaping tablespoon, 2 in. (5 cm) apart on a parchment-paper-lined cookie sheet. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until golden and the edges begin to brown lightly.